Thursday, April 26, 2012

New Conference Traditions and Experiences April 2012






  Conference was extra special as we started some new traditions and Drew got to listen to a session in the conference center for the first time (and thankfully President Monson was just barely far enough away to not notice Drew's awful black eye he got from jumping a little too close to Jesi on the trampoline - Drew was a little worried he might have to see such a site)!  After talking to some friends who finally convinced me that you really don't need a special "crepe maker" to make crepes - like the one our family had growing up, I finally gave it a try.  It was SO easy and SO yummy that we decided to call them "Conference Crepes" and we enjoyed them two days in a row and then again for Andy's birthday - but we'll save that for another post!  I don't think anyone could convince me to buy a "crepe maker" now that Andy and I have become quite the crepe makers ourselves!  And, who knows, in a few years, maybe we'll have some other "conference crepe makers" in the family?!?  We enjoyed strawberries, syrup, powdered sugar, the Perrin's blackberry jam we've been saving for a special occasion, and we even broke into the Nutella for dessert!




Andy's family likes to play the game, "Scattegories", so our next food tradition for conference had to have at least 2 "C's" in it, right!  So, how about some Conference Caramel Corn!!!  We couldn't hide it from Nathan, as you can see.  He was quite proud of himself every time he found my new hiding place!



We thought it would be a little crazy at the new City Creek Center South of temple square.  Boy were we wrong!  It was absolutely insane!  We got in, met some nice people standing in line at Subway with us and got out of there as fast as we could!  By the time we got our food and found a place to eat, it was time to rush to the afternoon session of conference.  But, we made sure to get some family shots in front of the temple first.  Andy and I were sealed for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake Temple 11 years ago and I am so grateful to know that our family can be together forever if we keep the promises we made that day.  Andy was so sweet to watch the kiddos while Drew and I attended a session of conference.  I wish I'd been there when Nathan walked up to the Christus statue for the first time, but pictures are the next best thing.  SO SWEET!




 Drew and I made it through security somehow - complete with the baggie of 11 inches of Jesi's hair and 11 inches of Kassi's hair (I've been meaning to donate their hair to Locks of Love ever since all of us girls got our hair cut months ago and remember every time I reach into my purse!)  It scares me every time!  But, thankfully they still let us in, hair and all :0).  We switched places so that Drew could see President Monson.  We had GREAT seats.  We were only about 20 rows up.  I brought a notebook for Drew to take a few notes.  I loved what he chose to write:

Elder Holland:  Pickle Juice!  - This made a great F.H.E. lesson.  We took some pickle juice to our friends' house and let everyone taste it.  Then we talked about when good things happen to other people we should have sweet thoughts (sweet tarts), not sour, bitter thoughts (pickle juice).  That is definitely a good lesson for children and adults alike!!!  We also played a matching game with the teachings of the first presidency and quorum of the 12 apostles.  Then the kids colored a stop sign on one side of the paper and wrote something they felt they should STOP doing and on the other side, they colored a green "go" light and wrote something they should GO and DO!  Drew wrote "I will STOP ignoring people" and I will GO and "write the notes that the prophets say".  Jesi wrote "I will stop gitting mad" and I will GO and "pray".  I think this will become a tradition for F.H.E!

Elder Hales:  Prepare for sacrament.  Prepare for temple!

Elder Baxter:  No second class citizens in Kingdom of God (Mommy helped with this one because Drew had a sleepy moment - it happens to all of us)!

Elder Soares:  D&C 20:37

Elder Cook:  Jesus wants us to return to Heaven

Elder Scott:  Keep the Commandments

It was so sweet to experience this "first" with you, Drew.  I hope you always remember how lucky we are to have a Prophet of God on the earth today.  I know that the Lord guides and directs his church through President Thomas S. Monson.  You have always thought it was neat that your middle name was the same as the prophet's first name (named after your Grandpa McConkie's middle name).  You were a little disappointed that President Monson didn't speak during the session we were there (the only session he didn't speak), but you were sure that he was staring right at you during each of the other 3 sessions.  I hope you come to know that the Lord is very aware of you (just as you thought President Monson kept turning his head to look at you) as an individual and that the scriptures and conference talks are wonderful gifts for you and will help guide you in your life if you seek to know the Lord's will for you.  If you follow the teachings of the Holy Ghost to your heart, you will find happiness and peace no matter what struggles you face in this life. It was so sweet.  Right before the closing song, you looked over at me with a smile and said, "Thank you for coming with me!"  Then we shared a hug and listened to the closing song by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  Actually, the lady next to us was humming and it tricked me into singing a little bit of the first line - but you just smiled with me and we liked to think that no one noticed your crazy Mom pretending like she was a part of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir!!!  Thank you for letting me sit by you and for taking such sweet notes for us to remember forever.  I hope we'll get to share LOTS more conferences together, Andrew Thomas!!!



2 comments:

  1. Such a neat experience! Drew is such an awesome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute family!!!! Oh what fun memories!!!

    ReplyDelete

Palm Springs May 08 Slideshow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...