Here are just a few things that made me laugh and/or smile the last couple weeks (the things that I actually took the time to write down) and I will try not to kick myself for not writing down all the other things that I knew I would never be able to forget and of course as usual, I did the unthinkable and forgot ;)! I am just including a couple pictures that I feel go along with the theme of this post (The kiddos playing twister - which seems to fit all the crazy funny things we do and say around our house).
Kassi really wanted to "help" me and decided that she would do a good deed and wash the table. A few minutes later she came to me with horror in her eyes and in her horrified voice said, "MOM . . . . . YOU HAVE TO MAKE THEM EAT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! I JUST CLEANED THE TABLE!!! (I of course felt very sympathetic to her cause because I completely understand the feelings she was having, but had to smile thinking that this was great preparation for motherhood.) I strongly believe that it is okay to occasionally cry over spilled milk :). But, hopefully most days we can see the full picture and just laugh!
Setting: Attempting to get over a nasty winter cold.
Heidi - "What is that all over Nathan's Shirt?"
Kassi - "I think it is boogers!"
Nathan - "NO, WUNNY (RUNNY) NOSE!
Heidi - (laughing)
Nathan - "WUNNY NOSE, WUNNY NOSE, WUNNY NOSE (Repeated about 20 times and then followed with the song "JINGLE BELLS" as he loves to make us laugh and apparently he knew that his runny nose comment made me laugh about as much as I always do when he tries to sing "JINGLE BELLS".
Kassi - Unable to reach a game in the basement came upstairs and asked me, "Mom, Do you know how to do tippy toes? (She was concerned that I wouldn't be able to reach it either.) I CAN SHOW YOU!!! Then of course, she proceeded to do tippy toes throughout the house to demonstrate.
Last night I was rocking Nathan and cuddling in the rocking chair after singing his bedtime song (I am a Child of God) when I told him, "I love you." Nathan sweetly replied, "No, Jesus Loves You!" I knew what he said, but decided to ask him, "Jesus Loves Me?" He then said, "Jesus Loves Me!", which he repeated several times softly. He just learned how to say "I Love Daddy and I Love Mommy a month or so ago and earlier that week had said "I ... Love ... B.Y.U." and "I ... Love ... Football!" (with no coaching, believe it or not), so this was extremely sweet to hear him say "Jesus Loves Me!"
(A week or two later in the car he said, "I love night night (surprise). I love Mommy. I love Daddy. I love Jesi. I love Drew. I love Kassi. I love temples." (He has been calling out "TEMPLE!!!" often in the car the last 6 months or so and it took me a while to figure out that he calls the mountains temples! With there being so many church buildings and temples in Utah, I was a little confused for a while.
When Drew was a toddler, I believe, Andy and I attended a few "Parenting with Love and Logic" classes. One of the main parenting ideas is that in order to let your child feel like they have some control over their life (and hopefully avoid tantrums), rather than telling them to do something, you give them a choice between 2 acceptable things. So, for example, rather than saying "Okay, it is time for bed. Lets brush teeth first." you might say, "Okay, it is time for bed. Should we brush teeth or put on our pj's first?" This didn't always work with my kids. A lot of times they were too smart and would say, "I don't want to do either!" or something to that extent. Well, Kassi has taken it to a whole new level. It has completely backfired on me with her. She has been doing this for months, but I finally wrote down one of our conversations that illustrates my point. Kassi asked me if she could watch a movie and I answered no. Then a little later she asked if we could make popsicles and I had to answer no to that as well. So, as soon as I answered no to her second suggestion, she asked me, "Can we watch a movie or make popsicles? Which one?" She is trying to parent me apparently!!!
Yesterday Nathan was pointing to a little picture of my parents that is on the end table by my bed. He was pointing to my dad and saying, "Pa Pa" and to my mom saying "Gamma". He has often looked at that picture and said, "Gamma", but I was always sad because he didn't call my dad "Grandpa". I of course was sad because I wish my children had the opportunity in this life to get to know my amazing Dad. Drew was 4 when he passed away and Jesi was barely a year old. Well, this time he was calling my dad "Pa Pa", which made me really happy and then he said, "Pa Pa help me." Since he doesn't speak in past tense yet, I can't help but hope that he was saying that he knows my dad personally because he has seen him and been helped by him. I don't doubt that one bit. It is amazing this little boy is alive with the adventurous spirit he has! I try to be diligent as his mother, but I wouldn't be surprised if angels were sent to help him at times! And, who would love to be sent to my children's aid more than my amazing angel Dad.
This year I tried not to make my typical extremely long list of New Year Resolutions. Instead, I felt really strongly that I need to simplify my life, getting rid of insignificant things and focusing on the most important things in my life. In short, I want to make more time for those who mean the most to me. So, I've been trying to do that. I've been examining and changing my schedule to fit my priorities where they will not be overrun by other, less important things. It is making a difference and I have a long way to go. But, I was happy to hear Kassi explaining something to Nathan today that gave me hope that I'm at least making some progress in this area. Kassi said, "Nathan, "Not right now means YES"!" I remember Jesi telling Kassi a year or two ago that "maybe" means "probably not" (that made me feel extremely guilty at the time because at that moment I was too busy to do something fun with them). So, I am hopeful that I am moving in the right direction and I hope that those who I love will never feel like I was too busy for them!!! And, then I know that I won't regret the choices that I made throughout my life as it pertains to my family and friends and my relationships on this earth. So, here I go posting some of my little memories with my loved ones that I hope I will never forget. And, since I took the time to write them down, maybe I really won't forget!



Oh! I love that you wrote these down and shared them! This post cheered up my day. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Krystal. You are always so good to comment and it is nice to know someone actually reads and cares :). Love ya!
DeleteI love your new year's resolution--that is perfect to me. Nothing is more important than simplifying. THese are all so fun and the pictures are perfect to go along with them. I loved the memories you shared of Drew and your dad and really appreciated your testimony on Sunday as well as Drew's.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Cheryl. You are always so sweet and I appreciate it so much!
ReplyDelete