Sunday, July 3, 2011

DADDY'S DAY 2011!

I've been thinking a lot about my dad lately (I think of him all the time anyway, but perhaps even more this time of year). He passed away in May, then there is Memorial Day, Father's Day, and his birthday, all within less than 2 months. His birthday actually ended up being the day we were traveling to Colorado for Andy's grandpa's funeral this past week. I was able to make a book recently with pictures of my dad and lessons that he taught us children (and others) throughout his life. It was a privilege to be his daughter and to put that book together and remember how blessed we were to have him in our lives. This world lost a great man that day. The world also lost a wonderful man the day that Andy's Grandpa Starkey passed. He will be missed. We were grateful to be able to attend his funeral and reflect on the wonderful husband, father, grandfather and friend that Grandpa Starkey was to all. The picture above was taken about 8 years ago. (My dad is holding Drew and Andy's Grandpa Starkey is behind them.) My dad drove the 3 hour drive alone over to my in-laws just to see us for a couple of hours because we weren't able to drive over that weekend to see my family. As I reflect on his life, I realize that he and Grandpa Starkey were men that did things for others without a second thought for themselves. They spent their lives serving and loving those around them and maybe that is why we miss them so very much. We are so grateful for these two wonderful fathers in our lives.
This is a picture of Andy's grandpa Starkey (in the back) and his grandpa Walker sitting in front. His grandpa Walker just passed away last year and he is also missed by all of us. This picture was taken at his cabin in Idaho that he has always shared with his children and grandchildren. We will be headed there soon for our annual Walker reunion to make more wonderful memories picking huckleberries, playing on the beach, boating, hiking, and spending quality time together. We have grandpa Walker to thank for that. He was another selfless man who has had a great influence on our lives. I'm wishing I uploaded pictures of all of my grandfathers and my mom's sweet husband, Kim Sanderson, but I guess I'll save that for next Father's Day!
The picture above is Grandpa Starkey with Drew. Drew and Jesi shed tears when they found out Grandpa Starkey had passed away (as well as when Grandpa Walker passed away last year). They knew they were in a better place, but they also knew that we would miss them on this earth! We were so grateful to join Andy on a business trip to Colorado a few months ago and spend time with Grandma and Grandpa Starkey and Uncle Ken and some of his kids. Grandpa was still concerned about our family and asking us all about how we were doing. Even when his health was deteriorating, he was constantly thinking of others. Grandpa Starkey was honored at a wonderful 90th birthday celebration that Andy's parents put together last July. He was given an honorary high school diploma at the party! Having lost his mother early in life and being the eldest child, he sacrificed his schooling in order for his siblings to all have the opportunity to attend school. One of his biggest regrets was not receiving his high school diploma. So, that was a HUGE surprise and one that was well deserved! He also served in World War II and was honored at his funeral for his service. He was one of the few still living World War II veterans and was honored in Washington DC a couple years ago for his service.
The above picture was grandpa Starkey with Drew at Andy's work. We were going to the duck pond to feed the ducks. You can see grandma Starkey in the back ground trying to take some pictures! She must be related to me :).
I don't remember exactly what I was thinking when I posted the above picture of my parents and Nicole with me at my BYU graduation, but I guess it was probably to thank my Dad for always supporting me and helping me to reach my goals. My parents both went to BYU and that was a dream of mine since I was a little child. I was grateful to my parents for coming to my graduation and for all of their support through the years. (I am several months pregnant with Drew in this picture and Andy is the photographer.)
My dad loved BYU sports. He was one of BYU's biggest fans. Drew's bedroom is painted blue with a big 'Y' on one wall with a big poster of this picture on one side and a poster of Andy, Drew and Jesi with Cosmo on the other. This is Drew and my Dad at the game with our family (and Nicole in the back ground, Andy's arm in front). I don't remember my Dad (even being the huge sports fan that he was) yelling at the other team, coach, or ref. In fact, if I remember right, he would laugh when things didn't go his way (in life or in the game). Everyone was on his team and he was a great team mate! He loved his grand kids and I think that is what I miss most - having him around to cuddle and play with my kiddos. I am so grateful that they have Andy's Dad and Grandpa Sanderson, who are both great role models for them to follow and so much fun!
My dad, Andy, baby Jesi, Chris, Dad Walker, & Jason at Jesi's baby blessing. Jesi was named after Andy's Dad, who goes by Monte, but whose first name is Jess after his own father. We really feel grateful to have such amazing father figures in our lives and Andy's dad is no exception!!! We love him to death (actually, lets say we love him to 'life' because we've lost enough of our Daddies lately and can't imagine life without him). Maybe this would be a good time to put another plug in for that seat belt :).
Cutting down a Christmas tree for Mom and Dad Walker's home over Thanksgiving Break when Drew was a little guy.
I guess I did get one picture from our trip to Colorado on this post. The above picture is Grandma and Grandpa Starkey with our 4 kiddos before traveling back home last April. We were so sad to have to leave. Uncle Ken brought Grandma and Grandpa to his home to save us an extra 3 hours of travel time and let us stay there and treated us so wonderfully that we just might have to go back.
This is a picture of Andy with our kiddos at Drew's Pinewood Derby this year (his 2nd)! Andy is an amazing father and I appreciate his father and grandfathers who have influenced the wonderful man, husband and father that he is. Andy is so thoughtful, hardworking, and kind. He makes us laugh every day. I know that a loving Heavenly Father sent him to me to help fill the hole in my heart that would come with my father's early death. Drew played a primary song before sacrament meeting for Father's Day and Andy loved that. The kids sang "I'm so glad when Daddy comes home" and the girls had WAY too much fun singing that to him over and over again and acting it out (complete with the sitting on his knee and giving him a great big kiss) all day long! I think I got a picture of that :). We also were able to get him a bike from Costco for an early Father's Day gift. We have had so much fun riding together. Drew learned how to ride his bike on my birthday this year, which was the best gift ever! After 5 years of trying, Drew said it was the "best day ever". I had Andy hook the tag-a-long to my bike for Jesi and the trailer onto that for Kassi and Nathan and it works great! So, the day before Father's Day we rode a few miles and grabbed some dinner and listened to a little outdoor concert. It was so fun we're hoping to do that again soon! Andy had a business trip a few months ago and the kids literally bawled when he left. Apparently we don't say enough goodbye's around here. But, it was SO INCREDIBLY SWEET how much they love their Daddy. They had me in tears too! And, to tell you the truth, it had me a little worried that something might happen to Andy and I had a hard time sleeping that night! Andy took a REALLY late flight in order to be here for Jesi's birthday and Drew's piano recital and then flew back as soon as possible the next day. He didn't get much sleep either. That just shows what a dedicated, loving father he is. I am so happy that my children are making such wonderful memories with their Dad, just as I did when I was a child, and Andy did with his own father. I hope to update this blog to record many more of those memories through the years. We love you, Andy and all of our Daddies! Happy Belated Father's Day!!!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi- Always love your stories. What a great mother and wife you are. I sure miss my Granddad. He was so special to me.

    ReplyDelete

Palm Springs May 08 Slideshow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...