Monday, March 12, 2012

Our baby (Drew) is 10 years old!

I remember seeing a commercial several years ago. It had me in tears. I can't remember if it was a couple or just a mom getting into her car and looking back at her little toddler. He had the cutest head of curly hair. When she goes to look back at her little boy again, she is shocked to see a very big teenage boy in the same seat with that same curly hair on top of his head. I remember thinking - that is happening to me!!! I swear, my sweet 10 year old boy was just a toddler a minute ago! I was thinking about that commercial as I dropped you off for piano lessons a few weeks ago, Drew, and the tears came again! You just turned 10 in December, 5 days after Dad and my 11 year anniversary! This picture was taken this December with your matching Christmas ties. December is always a crazy month around here, but it is extra magical as I remember all of the blessings that have come from our Decembers past! Our first December together was the one in which we were sealed for time and all eternity in the temple. The next year was the year we got to bring you home from the hospital. Someone at the hospital even made you a stocking to "come home in." We brought you home on Christmas Eve and I've always told you that you were the best Christmas present we could have asked for! We had no idea how much you would change our lives, Drew! You are such a loved, important part of our family!!!
It seems like just yesterday you were this little guy. I don't have most of your baby or toddler pictures on our computer yet, but it is amazing to remember the trials you dealt with as a baby. You were such a patient little guy with therapists, doctors, and nurses helping us to know how to help you be healthy and strong and learn and grow. You have taught us so much about dedication, selflessness, and unconditional love.
Here is a good example of why that commercial hit me so hard. Here you are (our little meat-eater) at Grandma Starkey's 80th birthday party in Park City when you were 4 years old. Check out the size of those ribs! You couldn't get enough!
And, here you are, not long ago at your absolute favorite restaurant, Tucanos. You amaze us every year when we go there for Dad's birthday. We definitely get our money's worth with Dad's free birthday meal and the way you pack in the meat!
It seems like just yesterday you turned 8 and became a scout. I wish I would have posted a picture of you at your baptism as well. That was a beautiful day when you chose to follow the Savior!
Now you've earned your Wolf Badge and in these pictures, your Bear Badge!!! I always feel like singing a song from "Bye Bye Birdie", a musical that G-pa McConkie loved about being "pinned". Now I can say that I've been pinned by a very sweet and handsome boy!
This year for your birthday we took the family to Trafalga in Lehi and enjoyed some dinner, some rides, and your favorite car racing video games. The food took a LONG time, and you were so patient for how hungry you were! We have been meaning to get back there for some mini golf and laser tag, so maybe for Kassi's upcoming birthday, we'll get to finish our b-day celebrations!!! It was a crazy week, and you insisted that a pumpkin pie from Costco was a perfect idea for your "cake" this year!
I love this picture. You have ALWAYS loved sleeping with stuffed animals and I think it is so sweet! First, it was a stuffed dog that you named, "Jazz" after G-ma and G-pa McConkie's dog. You slept with that dog and carried it around everywhere until you were 2 or 3. Then, you switched to "Rex", a stuffed bear that aunt Stacy bought you when she was going to BYU Idaho. And, not long after that, G-ma McConkie bought you this bear that you found on our shopping trip to Deseret Book when you were a preschooler. You found one of these bears that was bigger than you were and I was thankful G-ma bought this one that wasn't quite so big. Most nights you still sleep with "Conkie Bear" and the nights you forget, I have to admit it saddens me to think you are growing up too fast! I'll never get rid of those three prized stuffed animals! Maybe I'll have to keep them when you move away for me to hug!
You have a special relationship with your siblings. You and Jesi occasionally get along and that absolutely melts my heart when you do :0). Kassi is often your little buddy and she imitates much of what you do and say. And, you always want to hold Nathan and if he is in a good mood, he loves to play or cuddle with you. It is so sweet to see that my little boy will make such a great Daddy someday!!!
Oops. This picture didn't get turned around, but I love how you wanted to be a cowboy 3 years in a row! You will always be my little cowboy!!!
You have always been very impressionable. It is a good thing we only let you associate with all of your wonderful family members and friends that are always such good influences :0)! We were amazed at how you would instantly bond with a few select people like Uncle Verne and Uncle John and your Grandmas and Grandpas! You have the ability like your Daddy to be friendly to everyone, but there were a few select people that you just LOVED the instant you met them. I have hardly met anyone that didn't say "Oh, I just LOVE DREW" or "There is just something really special about that Drew", etc, etc!!! I always have to agree with them. YOU are very special and Heavenly Father has a great plan for you!!!
You are true blue! This year you were shocked to hear that one of your friends on the basketball team was a Utah fan! We had to explain that Ute fans are good people too, (although a little misled) - just kidding!
You were the cutest little turkey ever in preschool! Now you are one handsome turkey!
You've always been a trooper with Mommy's picture taking. This particular morning, Daddy had a meeting in Salt Lake and you let me explore the temple grounds with you and take your picture for an hour or more while we smelled the tulips and walked around! It was SO much fun! And, considering our little camera, the pictures turned out quite well.
I love all the pictures of you and your Daddy. Of all the kids, I think you have been Daddy's biggest fan. You would talk about him all day long when he was at work and want to hang out with Dad every second possible. That is why we moved closer to work. We knew that you and the rest of the family would benefit from an extra hour with Dad every day!!! In the above picture, you are wearing a "Big Dog" outfit that G-pa McConkie bought for you. I remember my dad calling and asking me what size you were so he could pick you up a couple outfits while he was in the "Big Dog" outlet store! Maybe someday your own little guy can wear this outfit!
Again, my little cowboy with Daddy! You are wearing Uncle Ken's hat (another one of your favorite people)!
You were always good for helping Daddy pretend to fix things (like the stroller & shopping cart wheels)!
And, you had an obsession with riding around in this truck our neighbors gave us, and one of your favorite activities was washing it off in the summer time! I hope you always take such good care of your things! Here you are washing it off with your squirt gun!
We've always loved attending your activities. You started playing baseball and soccer when you were very young and you loved the interaction with the team and the progress you made each season. I love your face in this picture - the sense of accomplishment you gained was always worth any time and effort! Now you are playing basketball and you want to try out Track this year! We'll always be cheering for you, Drew!!!
I can still hear Jesi saying in her sweet, high little voice, "too tight!, TOO TIGHT!!!" You give some good hugs. Some of those hugs are more appreciated than others, but I'll always take one!!!
I always love your "smoothie smiles"!!!
It seems like you were just learning to read and now you are in 4th grade and you are learning division!!! Your favorite subjects have always been reading and science! I love watching you learn and get excited about things!!!
This picture was taken the week that Kassi was born. We've always been blessed with a beautiful view of the mountains. I hope you always remember that no mountain is too hard to climb. You can do anything with God's help!
You were so sweet each time a new sibling was born into our family. You are a good big brother!
Off to your first day of 4th grade. First, we planned on walking. That didn't work because we ran out of time. Then we planned on biking. Then we found out my bike was having issues. So, we ended up driving the first day. Having me as your Mom has helped you adjust to all of life's crazy turns!!! Thanks for being patient with your Mommy!!! It was the BEST birthday present last year when you learned how to ride your bike on my birthday! We've been riding almost every day the weather has permitted since!
You and Kassi at Aunt Nicole's dance competition in St. George!
Your off-road Pinewood Derby car two years ago! You and Dad always do such a great job.
I will always remember how you could pick out a painting of Jesus so easily as a baby. I was amazed at how you always seemed to know Him. Even a painting of the boy Jesus in the temple, who I would have never guessed you would think of as being Jesus, you instantly knew that it was a depiction of the Savior. I KNOW that you KNOW HIM! And, that gives me hope for whatever crazy things lie ahead of us in this life! He is your brother and he has made it possible to return to our Father in Heaven and be together forever! I am so thankful that you know that in your heart!
You are always up for our crazy adventures as a family! We may not be perfect, or even close to perfect, but we have a lot of fun together!!!
Off to 3rd grade!!! So fun to be close to Dad. I remember when you were going to your first day of preschool on the bus when we didn't live so close. Dad had to go to work early. I helped you get on the bus and then went to open the door. I could feel the tears coming and I knew I'd have a good crying session inside the house. Unfortunately, the door didn't open. I had locked myself out and never did get my good cry in that day. I had to borrow a neighbor's phone to call Dad, who had to drive home to help me get into the house. Daddy was sad that he missed seeing you get on the bus for your first day of school only to have to drive home and help your crazy Mom get in the house. He is a good sport! We all survived that first day though, and you have always loved school and learning. We've always been so proud of you!
Here you are with Nathan and your best friend from school. You are a great friend to have!
And, your most recent piano recital where you earned 3 medals and your Articles of Faith Trophy! You are one talented boy with so much going for you, Drew. It has been so fun to watch you learn and grow. I have loved hearing you play prelude music at church for Mother's Day and other special Sundays. We are so proud to be your parents. We hope you always remember who you are and why you are here. Great things are in store for you! You will always be my baby (even after I finally let you say goodbye to your booster seat this year) and a big part of our hearts!!! We love you, Drew!

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet boy! I remember when he was born. :) Congrats on having been a mom for 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me get all teary eyed. Do they have to grow up so fast. What a wonderful record of his life. You are a thoughtful mom and he is a darling boy! He will love having this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a tissue now! So sweet, Heidi. And what an amazing boy you have. They just grow so fast and it is hard to soak all of it up before it is gone. Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such a great mom, Heidi. What a nice tribute to Drew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Heidi, I want to cry for you! You could make a commercial of your own! I've never been good with change and can't imagine my baby turning 10. (Really I can't imagine you having a 10 year old either, Ha!) Sounds like your trying hard to enjoy every moment of it! Love you lots, it's so fun to see your growing family!

    ReplyDelete

Palm Springs May 08 Slideshow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...