Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Mother's Group" 2011

Shortly after we moved into this neighborhood, a little over 3 years ago, a "Mother's Group" was organized. It was so nice to be able to get to know my neighbors and let the kids have a chance to make friends as well. The lady in charge actually used to work with Andy when he was a server. She did a great job. When she moved, I was asked to take over. That was almost 2 years ago. So, we have had a lot of fun planning activities to keep us busy. During the summer we meet every week at a different park or for our monthly field trip. This year we decided to meet every other week during the school year - the 2nd week of each month being a field trip and the 4th week meeting at someone's home, a park, or the church. Some of the field trips included several nearby museums, an aquarium, a library tour & McDonalds, a petting farm with pony rides, a neighbor's tour of her many different animals complete with commentary and interesting animal tidbits, a pumpkin patch/corn maze, and the mall play area. We feel so blessed to have such wonderful neighbors! I know I have pictures of the aquarium somewhere and some pictures from last year, but for now, I just uploaded two of our most recent field trips - the pumpkin patch is up first!
Here was our group that day minus Nathan and I, who were the photographers :). 9 moms in all, which was a pretty good turnout. This was a really fun, inexpensive group activity that I would highly recommend. They had these giant pumpkins, a corn maze, some big things to climb on and play in, a big swing set/play area, etc. Lisa and I ended up going back with our older children on an early-out day and they had jumping houses available as well!
I don't think I took pictures the day the older kids came, but boy did they have fun in this corn maze. Kassi was pretty cute with her little friends!


Kassi with two of her little friends. I felt bad - I didn't realize Abigail's hole was a little too high up for her to reach! She looks a little sad about that.
Crazy mom made them pose for a picture with the giant jack-o-lantern!
Nathan is a pretty good sport and pretty handsome too, I might add :)!

The rest of these pictures are from Thanksgiving Point's Dinosaur Museum as well as their little science room that you can enjoy before you enter the actual Dinosaur part of the museum. The kids had a blast trying out all the exhibits.
Jesi insisted on taking Nathan and my picture. Since she cut off my head in the first picture, I think I was ducking to make sure she got it in there this time. Ha ha. Nathan is just like his brother - he HAS to push the cart and/or stroller if I'm holding him!!! Too funny. He also likes to do sound effects when he pushes his cars around. It is pretty cute!
I must admit this was our first trip to this dinosaur museum, but it definitely won't be our last. We went for $2 Tuesdays in August and it was definitely worth the wait - although next time I think we'll pick a less popular time of the day to go - 10:00 seemed to be extremely popular! Above and below - they are pushing the steam out quickly, to make clouds!

Watching the archaeologists at work
Playing in the sand and searching for dinosaur bones!
The things that I love about Mother's group:
1. I get to know my sweet neighbors better!
2. The kids get to know their little neighbor friends better!
3. We enjoy getting out and doing some fun things and spend quality time together!
4. We always learn something in the process - even those days when it is just me learning to be a little more patient :)!
5. Fresh air, fun people, and wholesome recreational activities are good for the soul!
And, a little taste of ice cream is good for the soul too - this is Nathan's first taste of ice cream at Thanksgiving Point's ice cream parlor - they give the kids free little kiddie cones. Nathan liked it a little too much and looking at these pictures reminds me how much I miss my Baby Bjorn carrier that we think we left on the airplane on our trip to our family reunion in Washington! But, it sure was fun when we had it!!! If you're in the area and you'd like to join in on the fun, let me know and I'll get you a schedule for this coming year! Oh the possibilities! If you have any fun ideas, please pass them along! We're always up for something new and exciting that won't break the bank!

2 comments:

  1. I sure wish there was a good mother's group around here!! That looks like SO much fun. And can I just say how it's so unfair you are so tiny and pretty? Such a picture perfect mom. I hope to be half the mom you are! Love ya Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi! Those pictures of you are so beautiful! Your hair looks great and I love the hat. Cute mom.

    ReplyDelete

Palm Springs May 08 Slideshow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...