Sunday, February 13, 2011

Christmas Memories 2011

Lately I have felt like if I just had a month to myself, without any interruptions, I just might get this home clean, caught up, and organized from top to bottom - and along with my house, my life!?! So, I guess my blogging is just like the rest of me right now - just trying to catch up - but almost hopelessly behind. But, I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel and it just might motivate me to blog more than my goal of once every Sunday until I get caught up - just maybe! So, I already blogged my favorite Christmas memory of acting out Luke 2 with these cute kiddos, but here are a few other favorite memories from this Christmas that I would hate to forget. The above picture is so precious to me. We have had a lot of precious memories through the years with this nativity set. This year, Jesi came and excitedly told me that she was going to "make a home for baby Jesus". This is one little girl who has made a home for Jesus in her heart and it just warms mine whenever she talks about Him!
The next two pictures are of little Kassi wrapping up a tiny little baby Jesus from another nativity set. There actually isn't much left to that nativity set (I think the missing pieces are in the couch of no return), but we found baby Jesus in one of Drew's drawers recently - just in time for Christmas. She was so sweet to watch! I wish I had a video!
All warm and snug in a little blankie.
Nathan not only helped me stuff the ridiculous amount of Christmas cards (we had to bump up our order to 200 this year), but he also took a turn at writing the Christmas letter. I was very impressed with his rhyming abilities - he is one talented baby and I know everyone will be disapointed next year if he hands the responsibility back to me. Maybe I can talk him into continuing to improve his talent next year?!? Now that I think about it, I really should have let him use another of his talents - excessive drooling - to help me with sealing all of those envelopes! I think I had to resort to using a wet sponge this year! I think we have a few extras if anyone wants to be added to the list for a belated 2011 card or for next year's!
Oops! I thought I rotated this picture?!? He really enjoyed it for the first 2 minutes or so!
Jesi decided that she wanted to make Jesus a birthday poster and she did a great job decorating it. I should have taken a picture of the final product after she coverd it with snowflakes, hearts, and stars!
Kassi was happy making a cardstock poster with a large collection of washable markers to choose from!
I got a little teary eyed this year thinking about someday when my kids will be grown up and not here to help me decorate the tree. I really don't enjoy decorating, but it sure is fun to see the kids get excited about Christmas decorations, especially the nativities and the tree. I remember Jesi, in her sweet voice saying, "Mommy, isn't the tree BEAUTIFUL?!?" I don't know if I'd call our tree beautiful - but the memories we've made through the years decorating, making decorations and watching the tree light up (and the kids' eyes light up) are SO beautiful to me. I hope I never forget their sweet little voices, their laughter, and their smiles as we sing and dance to the Christmas music each year. The girls got so excited when we lit up the star to put on the top of the tree.

They each took a turn trying to put the star on the top of the tree. Drew finally got it up there high enough!
Drew LOVES to help me operate the Bosch mixer. These are pictures of the kids making cinnamon ornaments for neighbor/friend/teacher gifts and for our tree. I should have taken pictures of them once they were decorated. Some of them turned out really cute with all the glitter, glitter glue, ribbon, buttons, eyes, yarn, etc. They made gingerbread men and girls, snowmen, teddy bears, hearts and stars. They smelled so yummy - just applesauce and cinnamon to make the dough.
Cutting out the dough.
Helping out sis.
One of our favorite Christmas books growing up was "Claude the Dog". Christmas stories are one of my favorite parts of Christmas every year. I have a hard time putting them away - even harder than taking down the decorations! But, it makes it fun to get them out the next year! Anyway, Claude the Dog is such a sweet story about a dog named Claude, who has a loving family and receives several presents for Christmas. He shares all of his presents with a homeless dog named "Bummer". He is just happy to have a home and a family that loves him. My mom was amazing and made up blankets and pillows for the kids and gave them to each of the grandkids for Christmas to go along with the story. This is a picture of Kim, Mom, & Nicole reading the story to the kids before they opened their presents.
Kassi was just a little excited about her soft, comfy monkey blankie and pillow and a little stuffed dog with a matching scarf!
Drew's was BYU and he has been loving them as well. You can tell he loved dinner too!
Nathan loved snuggling with his new teddy blanket and his aunt Sara!
The girls enjoying their new gifts!
Niciole got a zebra print combo.
My mom transformed Elmo into a "Santa Elmo" for the kids to do a little pinata!
Christmas Sunday, I didn't quite get a picture of the boys before Nathan was all buckled in, ready to go to church.
Nathan sure loves all the attention Drew and the other kiddos give him - and anyone who sees him - we just can't resist his sweet smiles!
The first picture I have of Kassi was of the back of her head because she wasn't in the mood - thankfully she had a little mood swing and decided she wanted pictures after all. I don't remember bribing her, but wouldn't be surprised if I've just forgotten - I forget a lot these days :)!
The kids in their PJ's with their new ornament for the year on Christmas Eve right before bed. Santa's elves brought some "sleeping potion" again this year. Unfortunately, it didn't work as well as years past. That sleeping potion had about the same consistency as powdered sugar, but even if it wasn't as sweet, it probably isn't too effective to give the kids hot chocolate before bed?!? It worked last year?!? I doubt they'll forget that little tradition now. They would feel very left out if the elves forgot them next year!
Kassi got ahold of her little hand warmer and Jesi's and assummed they were leg warmers instead :)! I actually found these adorable new little handwarmers at a yard sale during the summer and knew the girls would love them - they look like little purses, but have a warm fuzzy middle for your hands. Kassi has refussed to wear hers - except on her legs :)! Funny girl. I forgot to mention that her PJ's only lasted about 10 seconds - for the picture, before she decided that they irritated her feet! So, thankfully Costco is good about returns!
The kids were so thoughtful about their gifts this year. We had them pick a name of a sibling to give to. Drew's favorite gift this year was the remote control boat that Jesi found for him at Walmart. He likes to drive it around in the tub before the girls take their baths. Drew picked out a soft puppy piggy bank for Kassi that she loves. Kassi got Nathan a brand spankin new baby rattle, a bib, and some yummy rice cereal that he has just gotten around to tasting. And, Nathan found the perfect little fairy dolls for Jesi. I loved seeing how thoughtful the kids were about finding the perfect gift for their sibling. The kids kept changing their minds this year - last minute - on what Santa was going to bring them. I think next year I will have them write a letter very early so that Santa and Mrs. Claus don't get ulcers and have to go to the mall on Christmas Eve! Drew changed his mind and asked Santa for a remote control Ford truck?!? Apparently Santa had a hard time finding one or having the elves make one last minute, but Drew didn't complain about his cool Mustang RC. Jesi asked for a Jessie doll from Toy Story, but switched to "Pillow Pet Slippers" the day before Christmas. She must have been good this year because Santa brought her the doll and some unicorn slippers that she assummed must be "Pillow Pet Slippers". Kassi received some slippers too - but discoverd that slippers apparently are not the same size as shoes?!? They were suppose to be big on her, but she couldn't even get them on her feet. She was happy with her puzzle and musical toy and never complained. Nathan was really a trooper. He didn't receive coal in his stocking, but I wouldn't think rice cereal would taste much better. He is excited about trying out his new bibs this year and getting to try lots of different foods. We'll be back soon to post some pictures of his first taste of rice cereal and gnawing on a slice of apple. Who knows, maybe those Valentine pictures I took this weekend will be posted sometime in February - it is possible!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Palm Springs May 08 Slideshow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...