Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cinnamon Caramel Apples! Yummy treat and F.H.E. idea!




Cinnamon Caramel Apple Recipe


*Important Note: These cool very fast, so it works best if you make one apple at a time - we made the mistake this year of dipping them all in caramel and then it was hard to get the candy/nuts to stick!!! Also, I think next year I'll do small apples - so that they will get eaten up better!

2 pkgs. (14 ounces each) caramels
3 Tbsp. milk chocolate chips
3Tbsp. water
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¾ tsp. vanilla extract
10 popsicle sticks
10 tart apples
Toppings: Any kind of chocolate, nuts, toffee bits, sprinkles, coconut, or any kind of candy you like! Some of our favorites are chocolate chips, M&M's, almonds, and chopped up candy bars (like Heath or Skor, Snickers, Butterfinger, etc.)!

Heat the ingredients on the stove over low heat, stirring often. Roll apples in the heated caramel or drizzle caramel on the apple with a spoon. Roll in your favorite toppings and enjoy! Remember to spray the counter, a dish, or wax paper with cooking spray to keep caramel from sticking.

We made these for family home evening last October and the kids loved it! Okay, Andy and I loved it too - maybe me a little more than Andy because I'm a big caramel and chocolate fan! We will be doing it again tomorrow and I thought I'd share the recipe. Last time we talked about the creation and how Heavenly Father and Jesus made us all different. While we decorated each apple with different toppings, we talked about what we loved about that particular family member (each topping representing something we loved about that person). Drew and Jesi were so cute. This is always their favorite activity, whether something creative or just passing a ball around in a circle, when we talk about why we love each member of our family. I cut this recipe in half and added a few extra chocolate chips and it made 5 medium-large apples. Sorry, I had some cute pictures of when we made them last year, but they are on that "corrupted or unreadable file"?!? So sad. Maybe I'll post some new ones and hopefully I'll have some carved pumpkin pictures too?!? Those should be interesting since the pumpkins from our garden are so deformed they can't stand up :0)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Palm Springs May 08 Slideshow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...