I was attempting yesterday to download Valentine pictures from my phone and Andy is still working on helping me with that, but in the meantime, since I'm not quite feeling up to posting Christmas and some other big make-up posts, I just wanted to share a sweet poem that Jesi wrote in her 1st grade class for Valentine's Day and share a sweet story about her. Recently I have had people ask me why on earth I don't know that I'm done having children, since I have it "perfect" (or too many children in their opinion) with 2 boys and 2 girls. I just have to smile and say that I haven't received confirmation that our family is complete yet. No one can prepare you for the challenges and the joys that come with parenthood. It breaks your heart. It expands your heart by letting more in than you ever thought was possible. Your heart grows and expands and changes in so many ways. Being a mother has taught me so much - most of all that these sweet children are such a blessing, a blessing that many of my dear friends and family have struggled for many many years to welcome into their arms. It is so worth every challenge and I know that I am only beginning to understand the blessing that my children are to me! Andy and I feel so blessed and extremely humbled to have these sweet spirits in our home!
Jesi was grocery shopping with me shortly after Mother's Day when she saw this adorable, soft teddy bear that says "Best Mom!" She was so determined to get this bear for me. It was on clearance since it was a Mother's Day item, so I was excited for her that she didn't have to earn too much money to pay for it. I tried to downplay the thought, explaining that it cost a lot of money and she'd have to work hard to save up enough, so that she could "surprise" me for my upcoming birthday. So, she earned a few dollars to add to her piggy bank contents and secretly bought the bear with Daddy, SO excited to give it to me on my birthday. It was one of the best gifts anyone has ever given me. Despite ALL OF MY MANY WEAKNESSES AND MISTAKES AS A PERSON AND AS A PARENT, she honestly believes that I am the "best mom" for her. And, as long as she thinks that, and even when she becomes a teenager and KNOWS that I make MANY mistakes, I hope that I will always keep trying to do my best. The love of these sweet kiddos makes me want to be a little better and it inspires me beyond words.
Here is her sweet poem:
"Love Is ..." by Jesilyn Walker,
February 2012
Love is kisses.
Love is when I'm so cold and my Mom makes hot chocolate.
Love is when I'm sek (sick) and my mom gits me medicine.
Love can be your famuly.
Love is soft coseae (cozy) blankites on me.
Love is Valentines.
Love is you!
*You can tell that poor little Jesi was sick over Valentine's Day week. She actually came down with the stomach flu on Valentine's Day and missed her school party & several days of school. But, she was such a trooper and just fine with staying home with Mom, Kassi & Nathan to have our own little party that day. I've heard a lot of people say that anything worth anything requires a lot of work. In my opinion, precious children are worth every sacrifice in the world and I am so grateful for that blessing. These 4 kiddos are worth everything to me! I remember someone once telling me, "I love how you take your job so seriously." At the time, I thought that was an interesting comment. I will choose to take that as a complement and I hope that I do take this mothering job seriously every day of my life! And of course, have a lot of fun at the same time! Another one of my favorite quotes from Marjorie Hinckley to add to my last post is:
“The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.”
And, a new favorite thanks to my friend Krystal sharing her favorite Marjorie Hinckley quote that is very inspiring to me as we are still trying to battle this stomach bug around here is:
"Sometimes the commitment gets a little heavy and sometimes I wonder if I can really do this. Then I think of all that I have been given, and it is easy to get up and do a little something more."



Alright...you made me cry! Yesterday was one of those challenging Mommy days. It's a good thing the awesome Mommy days outnumber the challenging ones. It really just takes one sweet moment to enable me to forget so many tough ones.
ReplyDeleteI am always amazed at how people think that a perfect number or boy to girl ratio is the way to know if they're done having kids. I was in your shoes just a few years ago. I know McCall was meant to be in our family. Yes, we did have to go through a lot to get her here...but she is worth it all. You will know when your family is complete Heidi...whether it is 4 or 24 (smile)! Love you!!!
Thank you, Tami. You are an awesome Mom. Your kiddos are so lucky to have you! And, I'm lucky to have you as my sister!!!
ReplyDelete