Sunday, February 19, 2012

Marjorie Hinckley's contagious OPTIMISM!!!

I'm trying to be positive about my failure to post every day - I only made it two days. But, if I have the optimistic attitude of Marjorie Hinckley, I would say something like, "I've been working on this goal for 4 days and I'm only 2 days behind!" I love her positive attitude. She didn't let the world get her down. But, she did set high goals. The important thing is that we don't give up! So, while I dream of blogging all of Drew's b-day pictures, Christmas activities, etc. and getting all caught up on this blog - starting tomorrow, I will just post a few of my favorite quotes by one of my favorite people, Marjorie Payne Hinckley: (Oh, and let me just say in my newly transformed positive attitude, that it is so wonderful to have all of this varied, strange highlighting that will not go away - it adds so much variety and visual interest and texture to these coming quotes and even to my own comments at the end - apparently the highlighting is mean to be because I couldn't figure out how to get it to go away and Andy is not feeling so hot tonight or he could probably figure it out. :)

“I have a new project to read one chapter a day from each of the standard works. I’ve been on it four days and I’m only three days behind.” (It’s better to try and fail than to never have tried.)

“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”

“We women have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable for us. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something. We have to learn to be content with what we are.”

*I thought about some of these quotes on Valentine's Day when I saw a lovely mother get out of the car with a flour covered apron on, to help her children gather their school things and their homemade Valentine boxes. It was a beautiful site to see that mother care for her children and not care what the rest of the world thought of her. Maybe when I catch this stomach bug that has hit everyone in our family except for me (and has been more of a 96-100+ hour bug instead of a 24 hour bug, I will have plenty of time to catch up. That is surely an optimistic thought! Until then, I will document what I can when I can and NEVER GIVE UP!!!

1 comment:

  1. I copied my favorite Marjorie Hinkley quote into the back of my BofM a few years ago: "Sometimes the commitment gets a little heavy and sometimes I wonder if I can really do this. Then I think of all that I have been given, and it is easy to get up and do a little something more." (pg. 36)

    ReplyDelete

Palm Springs May 08 Slideshow

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...